Thursday, August 5, 2010


There really isn't an excuse for over a month's worth of racing and not blogging...Sure we've been busy travelling from here to Granby, Co. to Squamish, to Mission and then back again to work. Yes, we've finally started discussing when and where we'll be tying the not (no we haven't actually made any decisions). And yes, after a season of racing and being oh-so-tired with 1 day completely off of everything - training, travelling, work - in the last 3 months the desire to blog away about our adventures is pretty low....but over 45 days with nary a word? No excuses...

So where have I been?

Test of Metal: Fast field, good race with good legs, but poor bike performance - to much air pressure, too much cable stretch, too late to the finish line to stand on the podium, and not even fast enough to beat my previous year's time.

BC Cup Series: Since I won it last year, I decided to use the BC Cup series as training races rather than a central focus...though I am leading the series with an attendance award, once the points get shaken down, I'll be down the list a bit in the BC talent pool. I've had some great races and some rough races, but the series is still strong with tough courses and talented girls.

Edmonton Canada Cup: I almost didn't go, tuckered out legs the weekend before had me doubting that I could pull out a podium performance (my goal for the year). After a good pep-talk from Drew and a couple good rides to get the legs going I headed off the start line at Edmonton to ride a strong and consistent race to finish up in 5th....just in the last spot of the podium, and the first non-pro, time-card punching girl - not bad for questionable legs.

US Nationals - Granby, CO: Race start at 8,200 feet elevation, climb to 9,000 feet, do that 5 times in 38 degree celcius temperatures on rough, fresh cut singletrack, with no rear brake. At an hour in I was in the top 15, but fading fast. By the end of hour two and lap 4 my legs were done in and I had severe tunnel vision to finish up in 25th. Elevation is an ugly ugly thing... Next day came the short track, 20 minutes plus 2 laps equalled 10 minutes of participation by yours truly before the leader was within lapping distance. Katie Compton went on to lap everyone but the second and third place girls to take the win. I finished up 16th overall to meet my second goal of the year - top 20 at US Nationals.

Now, for the rest of the summer I am on rest, recovery, and re-excitement before going into cross season. This weekend I'll head to Whistler (with a swanky room at the Fairmont) for BC Cup finals then back to Whistler next week to work Crankworx with Shimano. The rest of the month is up in the air with possible Tofino trips, a possible trip up to See Jane Jump at Mt. Washington, and (maybe!) a weekend actually IN Victoria!

Cross Season: Not to look too far ahead...but this year's cross season is looking good. Starcrossed, seattle, Cross Vegas?!?, Toronto UCI, Fort Collins USGP, Single Speed Cyclocross World Championships, Portland USGP, and US Nationals all as possibilities or definites. All this on my new Everti Ti-Fighter...the frame is sexy silky ti, and the components will probably be Shimano Dura Ace with a dash of Pro Components....pictures soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment