Saturday, October 16, 2010

News, News, and Racing


So, its been awhile. A long while considering that we are still in the midst of cross season, the races keep happening, and there should be great stories and blog posts to go along with them. There are. Every race I have done this season has reminded me how much work I have done and how much more I have to do.

Racing (and blogging), has had to take a bit of a back seat....I got a new job. Though in the works for a bit, what was supposed to start in January started at the end of September. Come January, I'll be the full-time rep for Shimano/Marin Bikes/Evoc/Nutcase helmets working for Elladee Brown (one of the most exciting parts of my new job!). For right now, I am somewhere in a vaccuum of managing Straight Up Cycles, moonlighting as a sales rep, moonlighting as a pro bike racer and still trying to get some sleep every once in a while.

One of the coolest parts of my new job is that I get to meet a TON of new bike-friendly (read: bike-obsessed) people, check out a huge array of shops, and travel up and down our beautiful island. This week's trip was up to Nanaimo/Parksville/Port Alberni where I learned that almost EVERY SINGLE SHOP has been supporting the Cross on the Rock Series with attendance! Woot Woot! No wonder the numbers keep growing!

So, back to the racing - since Starcrossed I have raced 2 Cross on the Rocks races and spent a weekend on the Oregon coast with my family. How did the Cross on the Rocks #1 and 2 go?

Cross on the Rock #1: Cumberland Coal Cross - Sweet course that included a pump track, bmx track, sand, awkward barriers, and technical grassy corners. Got tromped by Mical Dyck and Dawn Berg to come in third with Stacy Hutton, Andrea Bunnin, Kristenn Magnusson and child-star Amanda Wakeling breathing down my neck. So fun - I love cyclocross.

Cross on the Rock #2: Nanaimo Kona Kup - I stopped doing hill repeats at the end of mountain bike season, so the 2 extended on-bike climbs (one with a road section....WTF? What happened to flat courses) made my legs scream in pain and my eyes cross. Add in a long flight of stairs (I can't count high enough to give you an accurate number), TWO sand pits, and roller coaster descents and this race was a horribly, painfully, fantastic. Finished in second behind Dawn Berg while Mical and Wendy raced against the men. Did I mention - I love cyclocross!?!

Next Up: Cross on the Rock #3: Everti Bikes Crosstoberfext - there will be beer and bratwurst, enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment