Monday, November 1, 2010

My laptop lost itself behind my truck seat and our desktop is embarrassingly slow. On top of all that the weeks have been flying by and our couches and bedroom have lost shape under piles of laundry, race prizes, costumes and towels.


Last weekend we headed south of the border to Single Speed Cyclocross Worlds. Drew was the 2 time defending champion and turned it into the 3 time. No big deal. I ended up somewhere in the top 10, but in the confusion of Nacho Libre's, bunnies, and Flash Gordons I really don't know where I was. Tanya Berg came down with us and we rode around together getting air off the BMX style jumps and trying to get out of my cleat (which mysteriously loosened off...)


Drew didn't have long to enjoy his win....this week we were pinned getting ready for the double header Cross on the Rock in Victoria. Drew was course engineer both days and race director on Sunday. I have to say, he puts together some pretty impressive courses and brings together some great people!

Day 1 - Gorge Esquimalt park: Closest thing to Euro cross as BC gets (with maybe the exception of New Brighton Park in Vancouver), fast straightaways, duck-poop filled sand, stairs, technical corners, and slick grass. I had a good start off the line, ducked in between Dawn Berg Anderson and Tanya Berg. After a good slip around a nasty corner I ended up with Kelly Jones. I led in 2nd (Tanya had a nasty crash a bit after mine) with Kelly in 3rd until legs and back decided to give out and I cracked in the last lap of the race. Kelly put in a strong attack and beat me to the line. In the men's race Drew, Tyler, and Rob got away from the group. Tyler and Drew attacked in the last lap and pulled away from Rob. Drew wore a good suffer face throughout the race but wasn't able to suffer his way in front of Tyler and took second with Rob in third.

Day 2 - Layritz Park Crosstume Classic: Painful is really the only way to explain this course: soft straightaway, turn, soft straightaway, turn, straightaway, climb, straightaway, descent, soft corner, soft corner, crossed eyes. Off the start my foot wouldn't attach to the pedal so I went into the first section at the back of the pack. A little bit of anger goes a long way and I scratched my way back to third place through a seagull (Katie Duncan Rabien), a bunny (Tanya Berg), Lady Gaga, and a few other character to settle in far behind Dawn Anderson and Mical Dyck and Kelly Jones breathing down my neck. With 3 laps to go I felt the legs start to falter (apparently a full day of racing and race duties followed by 8am set up and more volunteering does not make for nice feeling legs) I slowed it down a bit, sat up for a lap, and then attacked the last 2 laps to keep Kelly far enough behind me to beat her to the line for a second day in third position.

All in all the weekend was a success, a possible record turnout for the races, some amazing costumes, tired legs, and beautiful weather! Next weekend Drew heads to Toronto for Canadian National Championships and I get to stay at home and try to find our couch.

Special note of thanks to Kurt Knock for all the fantastic photos from the most recent races, Kurt is new to the world of professional photography, but between his race shots and the engagement photos he took of Drew and I, his skill and craft is evident. Check out Kurt's website for more race and engagement photos.

1 comment: