Saturday, January 8, 2011


(for getting a good photo of BOTH of us!)
2010 brought on a lot. Racing (always busy), buying a home, getting engaged (not that I had to do much there besides say "Yes," and new jobs for both Drew and I. 2011 is looking like a big year as well as we both start our new jobs, plan a wedding, go through with the wedding, all on top of the standard racing season.

The end of 2010 was busy, since my last update a lot of races happened, some highlights and lowlights would be:
Provincial Championships: Came 4th with a pretty strong race. Battled it out with Kelly Jones but screwed up the final 180 degree corner and got my bars entangled with hers in the sprint with mine behind hers. Kelly deserved that extra spot, she rode well and came on strong at the end of the season.

Portland USGP: came unready to race. Was shown it isn't a good idea to show up to the big leagues unfit and not ready.

US Nationals: Went to reg, got plate 55, thought that was pretty sweet for no UCI points, got called up 109th out of 111 girls - pressure off, now just get as far up in the pack as possible. "The race starts now" Drew said, and we were off. I made it up to 47th, rode around with 42nd to 47th and decided on the last lap (at the back of the pack) to run the last thick, slow mud leading into the stairs and passed my whole group to finish up in 42nd, not bad considering my start.
Provincial Championships
2010 I got better at winning out of a group, 2011 I need to work on being higher up in the field at bigger races and always show up to races ready to go.

After US Nationals I headed home to California for Christmas, a standard week of catching up with all of my sisters and family. After overstuffing myself Christmas day, Drew flew into my home town (with a single-terminal airport) to drive back up with me to ring in the new year with our friends in Victoria.

The new job started January 1st and it has been a bit of a change, things are just starting to get busy as everyone in the bike industry wakes up from the holidays and starts getting ready for the new season. I'm looking forward to all the new challenges, experiences, and people that I will have the opportunity to work with!

This one just never gets old...
Drew going for his 3rd Single Speed World Championship!

I would like to extend my deepest thanks to some of my biggest supporters this year: Kurt at Everti Bicycles helped me out with bikes for mountain bike and cross season. Both were beautiful race machines that handled like a dream and gave me the confidence to improve my technique throughout the year. Gerry at Straight Up Cycles was a huge help this season with tune-ups, time off, and moral support. I have loved every moment of working with him and will miss working at the shop. Drew, well, he is pretty great. I can be high strung (or I could say, my default setting is high strung) and he is always supportive - whether it is a quick fix on the start line or rainy day motivation. Thank you to all three of these guys, not sure I could have made it through 2010 without you!

I promise to have more updates soon, once I make some race schedule decisions! Now, however, we need to decide on a menu for the big day (and I need to do some dress shopping...)!

1 comment:

  1. Vancouver has some pretty great bridal shops. ;). You sound like you are as busy as ever. Jer and I will plan on a weekend where we can come over and spend some quality time with you! And you both are always welcome here. The guest room is lonely. Xo
    Lynds

    ReplyDelete